Save A Child's Life

Monday, August 3, 2009

A long weekend.... Part I


Get ready for a long read….

I’m gonna jump back to Thursday and catch you guys up on the doosey of a weekend that we had. After work on Thursday I went to get a pedicure, which was relaxing and wonderful. Little did I know I was about to stress myself right back up. Mammie got a new couch this week and of course the first thing that my girls do is try to break it in like trampoline. The girls are at my Mammie and Paw Paw’s on Thurs. afternoon and I get a call from my mom and she says that dad has called her and he can’t control the girls enough to get them to stop jumping on the furniture. Paw Paw had a firm hand when I was growing up but for some reason he can’t seem to put the same force into discipline for his two precious granddaughters? Either way Mammie expressed her deep disappointment in them, over the phone and Paw Paw said that seemed to help with their attitudes. Soon after the phone call their daddy arrived and helped out. When I finally got to Mammie and Paw Paw’s it was time to load the yard sale items onto the trailer. It was terrible having to dodge the rain showers, Paw Paw and I got in an argument of how things should go. We are so much alike that sometimes when we try to do things together it turns into a big mess. Either way everything got loaded and covered in plastic. I loaded two vehicles with stuff and we had two trailers total. I finally got to bed around 11:00 and passed out immediately. Then got up at 5:00 on Friday and began a yard sale…….adventure, I’ll call it!

By 6:00 Mammie and I had everything unloaded and in its place so that we could sit and rest before the crowd pulled in. Hwy 231, which is the main road that runs through the little town that we live in, was super busy with people trying to get to work. People would slow down, a few would stop but most would call people they knew where at home to come on out and buy. Great for me right? So a lady comes buy around 6:30, her husband gave her a call on his way to work and told her to get out of bed and come down. She buys every outdoor toy that I have. Including a plastic, snap-together playhouse in particular. She is driving an SUV that clearly will not hold all of the items she purchased so Mammie offer to go home and get another truck and she volunteers me to make the delivery. No problem! She gets back with the truck and we load it up and I get on the road. The nice lady didn’t live but about 3 mile from the yard sale site, so I am following her SLOWLY. She is not going so SLOWLY and leaves me behind. About that time the playhouse flies off of the truck, onto to 231, almost hits the car behind me and shatters into pieces. I am frantically picking up the pieces apologizing to the man behind me and sweating bullets because of the humidity. After all of the pieces are loaded again the nice lady that purchased the items pulls back up to see the massacre. We get on the road again because she believes we will be able to recover most of the house. Thankfully most of it snapped back together and was able to be salvaged. I am slap exhausted by this point and have made it back to the yard sale. I sit down and am telling Mammie about the fiasco and it begins to pour rain. We jump up and throw everything that didn’t need to get wet in the car. I take Mammie’s car (fully loaded) home to get the other SUV and I accidentally leave the truck keys on the table, which is what my Mammie will use to get home? I make it back to the yard sale and the rain comes to a complete halt. No kidding! Mammie and I decide to stay out for a little longer with just the things that we have left there but we didn’t have any more customer and decided to leave at 9:00. I hook the trailer to my Explorer, on to the house we go……..I’m driving, catching my breath and I fell a large pull backward on my car and I scream! I got the car in park, get out and walk to the back. The trailer pin has come out, I hit a bump and knocked the latch up, the trailer came off of the hitch and is hanging by the safety chain. Lord thank you for the sturdy safety chain! Although when the chain caught it jerked the trailer up under my car and it was stuck under the bumper. WHAT WAS GOING ON WITH ME?????????? A nice man stopped behind me and lifted my car so we could pull the trailer out. We rigged it so that I could make it one more mile to my grandmother’s house. I arrived there safely, no one was hurt, not even my car. It could have been much worse but it left me leery about having the sale again on Sat.! There is more to come we have only made it to lunch time on Fri. This story has to be broken up.

To be continued…..

the FIELDS…….

1 comments:

The Buchanan Family said...

Girl you need to take a day just for all that you went through! Bless your heart!

Post a Comment